Tata Trusts (in partnership with Google)
> INR 68 crores (USD 10 million)
Rural Livelihoods—women and girls
Archetype:Build innovative solutions: Internet Saathi adopts an innovative model (training of community members) and unique approach (tapping into technology to promote livelihoods) to bridge the digital divide and empower rural women.
- Tata Water Mission
- Nonprofits working at the grassroots level
Internet Saathi adopts a novel approach to addressing a white space in internet literacy and usage for rural women in India. This approach empowers rural women to serve as trainers and helps to break down social barriers facing women in these areas. The initiative has expanded to more than 15 million women across 150,000 villages; over 80 percent of the women who have been trained by Saathis say they have a better understanding of the internet. Finally, Internet Saathi has grown out of a unique partnership between the social and private sectors.
- Channel philanthropy to test high potential but risky solutions that others would not consider
- Build partnerships based on common values and goals but distinctive capabilities
- As on-the-ground conditions change, evolve the initiative’s approaches for deeper impact
- Engage champions in the community to increase the initiative’s scale and deepen its impact