The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
approximately USD 9 million (INR 63 crores)
Health (infectious diseases and systems strengthening)
Archetype:Build innovative solutions The initiative’s innovative model aims to standardize TB diagnosis, notification, and care in the private sector through a series of incentive mechanisms, supported by an information and communications technology backbone to monitor and track treatment compliance by TB patients.
- World Health Partners
The initiative targets TB control through a novel approach. It aims to integrate private healthcare providers for TB care with public systems to overcome one of the biggest roadblocks to eliminating TB in India: missing patients who contract the disease and seek treatment in the private sector, but are not notified to public TB monitoring systems. By using incentives and leveraging strategic partnerships, the initiative has increased the
number of TB cases that private providers notify to the government, improved patients’ compliance with Standardized treatment regimens, and increased TB cure rates in the three cities where the initiative is active.
- Use philanthropic funding as risk capital to demonstrate potential for impact at scale
- Partner with the government at the outset to design for national needs and ensure scale
- To change mindsets, deeply understand the actors’ needs and incorporate incentives
- Leverage partners’ capabilities to achieve effective results
- Use data to evolve and learn